If you are visiting the Daytona Beach area you will without a doubt spent a lot of time on the beach. But you may also want to learn more about some of the marine life and animals in the area as well. We have some great places here that you can learn more about marine life and other animals, and have fun at the same time!
Here are 8 places in the Daytona Beach area where you can learn about marine life and other local animals:
- Marine Discovery Center. The Marine Discovery Center is located in New Smyrna Beach, about 15 minutes or so south of Daytona Beach. It offer marine life exhibits, classes, events, kayaking, and an eco-boat tour. They also have touch tanks where kids can get a hand on experience with mollusks and other small marine life. Read about our family kayaking guided tour here.
- Marine Science Center. Located in Ponce Inlet, the Marine Science Center provides rehabilitation services to injured and sick sea turtles, birds, and various other animals. They provide plenty of education and observation of these animals, as well as providing touch tanks and activities.
- St. John's River Eco Tours. Take an eco-boat ride on the St. John's River. This river cruise leaves from Blue Spring State Park, which is about a 25 minute drive from Daytona Beach, located in Orange City. The river provides a beautiful view with a chance to a variety of animals in their natural habitat.
- Central Florida Nature Adventures. Take a guided hike on the St. John's River learn about the plants and animal life. This company offers private tours, group tours, and more.
- Sea Dogs Dive Center. If you have the time to learn some diving, or take a refresher course, you can check out Sea Dogs Dive Center in New Smyrna Beach.
- Lyonia Environmental Center. Located in Deltona, this place mainly focuses on the scrub habitat that surrounds it, but they also offer many free classes that focus on everything from sharks and owls to snakes and reptiles. Take a class, walk around and check out the exhibits, and take a hike out in the preserve.
- Cracker Creek. This is a great place in Port Orange that offers kayaking, hydrobike rental, and eco-boat tours. you can learn about the area and animals by taking a guided eco-boat tour.
- Reptile Discovery Center. Located in DeLand, this place will teach you all about snakes, as well as show a live venom collection. There is also a nature trail, where you can see some alligators, lizards, tortoises, etc.
There are some neat places to see and learn about local animals that are both find in the woods, as well as the sea. Add one or more of these places to your Daytona Beach vacation for some interesting fun for all ages. Whether you take an eco-boat tour, a guided kayak tour, or you visit the sea turtles in rehab, you are sure to enjoy the experience!